Wednesday, August 25, 2010

a prayer for your Church

Blessed Trinity, I have seen the beauty of Christ-like love bring healing and transformation to the hearts, souls, minds and bodies of hurting and broken people. I have seen your Church do things that overwhelmed me with joy, knowing that you were using disciples to accomplish wondrously redemptive things. But, my Lord, I must confess that I have also seen darkness. I have seen people use your name, and your Scriptures to hurt, kill, steal, destroy, abuse and scar others. I have seen people, who claim to be disciples, judging others, labeling others, and casting out people they don't think are worthy...as if they are qualified to judge others when they themselves are sinners saved by your grace. I must confess, Lord, that I have also done these things. I ask for your forgiveness for my contribution and for the distortions of your love done by the Church. I ask for a sense of deep conviction in your Church. I ask that you would speak by your Holy Spirit, to those places where we have fallen short in loving you and loving our neighbors. Create in us a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within us. Amen.

No comments: