Friday, November 21, 2008

busyness and sacred rest

I thought it was pretty amusing when reading my last post (Oct. 2) I began by writing that it had been a long time since my last post, well, once again I find that it has been a long time since my last post. I have discovered that there is altogether far too many things going on in life such that there is no time for true intentional rest, or at least I have not created that sacred space in which I can take the time to breathe and truly listen in silence. We are altogether a far too busy society running around and doing so much that we never take time to breathe. We simply pump more legal addictive stimulants (coffee/caffeine) into our veins and move through life at break neck speed. We rarely take the time to sit still and to "smell the roses" as the cliche goes. At the risk of sounding cliche, I think we do not take enough time to rest, to contemplate and to take advantage of opportunities to center ourselves and remind ourselves of what is truly important. I surely hope that our drive to get things done is not undertaken with the intention of being remembered for having done a lot of things. I hope that we are driven to act, and yet concerned to be remembered for our loves, our relationships, our passions, and our dedication to that which we believe to be right and true. Life is too short to fill it to the brim with so much activity that we never get the opportunity to sit back, rest, and grant ourselves sacred space to just be. My sermonette to all who read this is: create some space for rest, and listen, and don't be surprised if you start to think things through more clearly or hear still small voices that have been speaking all along.

No comments: