Friday, July 18, 2008

A trip to Washington D.C.

This photograph is of the statue of Thomas Jefferson (my favorite President!) in the central rotunda in the United States Capitol Building!

My wife and I recently took a trip to our nation's capitol in order to meet up with some relatives and see many of the sites. I had never been to Washington D.C. and I found myself more and more excited by the possibilities of seeing monuments, museums, and other large pieces of American History!

We just about packed as much as you can into our three day trip and it was amazing! For an American history nerd such as myself I was overwhelmed by all of the amazing architecture and sheer size of many of the cities large monuments!

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite piece of history or favorite experience of this adventure; however, I can say that a memorable stop was being able to sit in the observation balcony above the room in which the United States Senate meets and observe Congress while it was in session! My eyes darted from one place to another in that mammoth room and I was in awe as it dawned on me how many major figures had graced this place over the years and years of its existence! One other awe inspiring experience came when I visited the National Archives. I was able to stand mere inches away from documents such as the Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States of America, and the Bill of Rights! I was speechless when I realized the age and influence of these faded and fragile pieces of paper!

The monuments were huge! The fountains were ornate! The statues were beautiful! The architecture was breathtaking! I bathed in the waves of United States History that flowed freely over the landscape! It was plain and simply a phenomenal experience!




No comments: